Thursday, September 21, 2006

Grape Grandma?

Dear pumpkin,

It's fall here in Virginia and the weather is cooler. Your Diva adores fall as much as she adores you. My front porch is covered with bronze, yellow,and maroon mums and today I bought a pot of my favorite daisy mums. I also bought a small pumpkin.

It's small and cute, just like you!

The leaves are just starting to change color and its time to bring down the quilts from the attic as the nights are cooler.

Your Poppa and I have been canning produce from our garden. It has been a very long time since I last did any canning. We had a bummer crop of tomatoes and peppers so Diva made some home made Salsa. It's hotter than I normally like so I bet your momma will like it.

We also made grape jelly from the grapes on the grape arbor. Papa worked really hard to get rid of the Japanese Beetles that invaded it last year. I was delightfully surprised at what good jelly they make. It is hard work however and seems to be a two person job.

Poppa brought home a juicer which made it much easier. For a while Diva was afraid that we were going to have to paint the kitchen purple. (Did you know that Grape juice stains? Trust me it does, so do your mommy a favor and be very careful with your sippy cup when you get one ok?)

We made two batches of jelly last night and will probably make one more batch from our grapes this year. Silly Uncle Andy told me he wants Strawberry Jelly. Diva told him that was fine but we didn't grow any strawberries in our garden. (Hmmm.....I noticed that the strawberry fields down the road have already put in their plants for next spring. Maybe I'll talk to Poppa about putting in strawberries?)

It's a good thing that I'm your Diva or else your Poppa would be calling me your "Grape Grandma!" When you are old enough to have peanut butter and jelly I will make sure you get some of Diva's Divine Grape Jelly for your sandwich.

Love you more than all the good things about fall.

Your Diva


Grandchildren don't make a man feel old; it's the knowledge
that he's married to a grandmother. ~G. Norman Collie

No comments: